Friday, July 1, 2011

Feel the Burn Fridays

So this week was super busy.  Two of our best friends got married on Saturday. Sean was one of the groomsmen so we were able to celebrate with them all weekend with a lovely rehearsal dinner at the Cannery, ceremony and reception at the Mesa Verde Country Club, and celebratory brunch on Sunday morning. We had such a good time dancing the night away.

This week I went golfing for the charity golf tournament Sean's Department puts on every year. No it wasn't going to a fitness class or the gym, BUT I would say that golf is definitely a work out! Luckily since I'm pretty active, I'm not super sore or anything, but it works a lot of your core muscles in ways you're not used to. I don't golf very often at all, but I must say I did pretty well for myself. I was driving the ball really well off the tee, but the rest of my game needs a little work. One thing that I started thinking about purposefully was the way I breathed while swinging. It's amazing how something so simple changed my game. I don't know if it relaxes me or how exactly it helped, but definitely paying attention to my breathing improved my game.

Breath is so important while you work out for many reasons (sure to keep you alive), but I would tell you that the next time you're taking a class, going for a walk, or even on the golf course, pay attention to your breath. I can't tell you how many times I've been in some sort of workout class, or doing something else that I find myself holding my breath- not only do I get red in the face, but my balance seems to be off, I get lightheaded, and I can't push through the workout as I can when I remember to breath. Such a silly concept that you have to remember your breath, but when you do, you'd be amazed at how different your abilities can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment