Monday, October 10, 2011

Pistols, Pizza, and Pumpkins

This weekend was fun, mellow, but still eventful. Thursday afternoon after work I had done a little cleaning in my office- went through our bills and organized them on a due date calendar, went through my "accounting" for my business, and went through a little bag we had of random gift cards. Some of these gift cards are years old, and have just accumulated from Christmas Gifts, birthdays etc. Normally we grab them and put them straight to our wallets, especially if we know we want to use them right away, but sometimes we will forget to put them away and I'll just grab them and put them in this bag. We had a TON of $$ worth of gift cards in this stash- movies, food, shopping, gas, you name it! Being dorky and trying to be organized, I created a little spreadsheet that I'll keep on my desk with an inventory of these gift cards, along with certificates from discount sites that we've purchased. By organizing them, and then keeping them in their own separate wallet in my purse, I think we'll be more likely to use them. I decided Friday would be the perfect date night to put these to use. We went to the Himalayan Grill (one of our favorite Indian Restaurants, and used a certificate that we had purchased through Living Social. Our friends Jeremy and Sheen joined us, and after dinner, we went to the movies using a certificate for 2 free tickets that we had gotten. We saw Machine Gun Preacher- which was pretty good, but not exactly a feel good movie. We all walked away feeling conflicted on how we felt about the movie's main character, but it was still a nice night.

Sunday when Sean was off again, we went to church in the morning and then met Jeremy and Sheena, along with Jer's brother and sister-in-law for brunch. Then we took a nice lazy nap and cleaned a little before my brother and his fiance came over. The four of us headed down to the gun range for a bit.


Then while the boys cleaned out our pumpkins, Nicki and I prepped everything for dinner. We made Bobolis' which were delish! I haven't had one of those in a LONG time! Then once we were done eating, we all carved out pumpkins. Nicki and I opted for more traditional Jack-O-Lanterns, while Josh was feeling patriotic, and Sean got super fancy and whipped out the power tools to create his octopus. 
I did a Stash on mine in honor of Stashtober!

After the proud unveiling of our handwork, we ate some homemade ice cream sandwiches with chocolate chip cookies and vanilla ice cream and watched Scream 4. It was a great night, and I even made us some pumpkin seeds this morning! A couple of the seeds were sprouting, so I saved them, wrapped them in some wet paper towels, and am trying to find a place to experiment planting them. Maybe next year we'll have pumpkins from our own yard :) We had such a fun time, that I think we're going to make a tradition out of it- can't wait for our second annual pistols, pizza, and pumpkins!

No comments:

Post a Comment