Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Father's Day

Yesterday was Father's Day. I may not be a partial judge, but I think my dad is a pretty great dad. Sure he has his jokes, that only he gets sometimes, still asks me to pull his finger, and has moments where my brother and I turn red and shake our heads in surprise, but I think he's such a great person, and his quirkiness makes him as great as he is - just like how I tell stories with no point, freak out about driving directions, and like to dance to grocery store music down the baking aisle (well any aisle for that matter) to the dismay of my husband - Sean, don't lie, I know you love my supermarket dance moves!

I must say that my brother and I have been luckier than most to have a dad like we do. He's taught us so many valuable life lessons - How to work for each and every dollar you earn; that you should write handwritten thank you's to people (it's a lost art, and much appreciated sentiment); that you should start a savings and continue to contribute to it; that you should live life laughing and making other people laugh - after all, the only person you can truly embarrass is yourself (I apologize now to my future children for any embarrassment I may cause you in elementary school.... but really I'm not that sorry); that marriage isn't always the easiest, but committing to that person wholeheartedly is one of the greatest things you can do (congrats to my parents on almost 28 years of loving, agreeing, disagreeing, and committing to each other); that although you're family may seem crazier than most, they're all great people, and family comes first; and most of all that being a great father to your kids and spending time with your family, is one of the greatest, and simplest pleasures in life.

A favorite from my wedding

This Father's Day the four of us went to the Dodger game - it seemed like we were young again - Sean had to work, and Nicki was spending time with her dad - so once again there were four. We were invited to the game by friends of our family who go to a Dodger game every Father's Day and have tickets for two suites split between roughly 50 people. The four of us happily joined them and had a great time, eating Dodger Dogs, watching the game, and most importantly spending time with our family.



I know I don't say it enough (to either of my parents), but thank you. Thank you dad for being there, working as hard as you have and continue to do; thank you for being the wonderfully, goofy, crazy, loving, Fungi you are. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment